Summer Storms: A Reading List
With the heat of August in New England come evening thunderstorms, lighting up the sky, providing a soundtrack, and cooling the earth. This month we are featuring titles exploring summer storms. This booklist includes a variety of titles for weathering storms of all kinds, from thunder and fog to hurricanes and floods. Not only do these storm titles touch upon relevant late-summer themes, but in some cases serve as important reminders of how to take on challenges and meet fears head-on, with the storms serving as metaphors for difficult moments in life.
Download our PDF guide to read about each title included in our storm list below!
- Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco
- Flood by Mary Calhoun and Erick Ingraham
- The Storm Book by Charlotte Zolotow and Margaret Bloy Graham
- Hurricane by David Wiesner
- Hide and Seek Fog by Alvin Tresselt and Roger Duvoisin
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett and Ron Barrett
- Drowned City by Don Brown
- Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
- Saint Louis Armstrong Beach by Brenda Woods
- Voyage of the Frog by Gary Paulsen
Download our PDF guide
for more information about each title.
- Learning Ahead: Summer Storms
- Thunderstorms: Those Rumbling Science Shows
- HFVS Weather Episode with Guest DJ, Alison Faith Levy (Radio Show/Podcast)
- Science & Folktales of Thunder & Lightening
- Nature-Based Resource: Clouds
- 18 Story Books on Weather for Kids
Robin Morgan Huntley
Robin joined Hilltown Families in 2011 as an intern and has remained with the organization ever since, first volunteering as a community-based education correspondent until 2016 and now as a contributing writer. Robin is a graduate of Hampshire College and Antioch University New England, where she studied place- and community-based education. She lives on the banks of the Sheepscot River in Maine, where she and her husband are working to start a small farm. Robin teaches at Juniper Hill School for Place-Based Education and is the founder of our first affiliate member of the Community-Based Education Network™, Dirigo Learning.