Learning Ahead: May & June Cultural Itinerary for Western MA
Learning Ahead: Cultural Itinerary for
Seasons: May & June
Who am I? Where am I? These are the fundamental questions proposed by the humanities. Inquiries related to local history, literature, and education, inspire us to think deeply about the places where we live and how our identity fits into the context of our community and the seasons.
Learning Ahead: Cultural Itinerary for Western Massachusetts is a bimonthly publication produced by Hilltown Families that sheds light on embedded learning opportunities found in cultural resources that exist within the geography, history, and cultural traditions of Western Massachusetts.
With these downloadable seasonal itineraries, self-directed teens, lifelong learners, and families are encouraged to engage together in cultural opportunities that support similar interests, resulting in a shared history, strengthening a sense of place.
Looking through a seasonal lens, a May and June cultural itinerary for Western Massachusetts includes:
- Giving handmade and NATURE–BASED gifts to honor the mother figures in our lives. Supporting NON–COMMERCIAL celebrations: Mother’s Day
- Sharing of skills, stories, and fresh produce once a week through PLACEMAKING and COLLABORATIVE CONSUMPTION: Farmers’ Markets
- Acts of KINDNESS and INTERGENERATIONAL engagement mark history and honor community members: Memorial Day
- FOOD celebrations and COMMUNITY MEALS connect us to the seasons and one another: Spring Harvest
- Native species and their impact on our culture strengthen our SENSE OF PLACE: Spring Wildflowers
- Family trees and scenic byways as a CATALYST for learning: Father’s Day
- OUTDOOR ADVENTURES and local geography inspire the muse: Summer Trails
- ART and CULTURE come alive in the summer: Berkshire Mountains
Special thank you to sponsors of this issue, including Thornes Marketplace.