Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event Generates 600 Hours of Community Service in a Single Morning!
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Supports Western MA Non-Profit & Community Organizations through Service-Based Learning!
This past Saturday, November 22nd, was the third Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event, a one of a kind event for families to volunteer together in a morning of community service! From teens to tots to grandparents, over 200 folks were able to generate 600 hours of community service at this intergenerational event for different non-profit and community organizations in our region that support education, children’s welfare, and human services.
This year our event was held on national Family Volunteering Day at Leeds Elementary School in Northampton, MA. Together, families traveled to five different community service stations with a Community Service Passport in hand, participating in facilitated hands-on projects to benefit non-profit & community organizations throughout Western MA:
Part of the mission of Hilltown Families is to create, connect and collaborate in service-based learning experiences through community engagement. Acting as a bridge between Western MA non-profits and service organizations, Hilltown Families is able to amplify the work of these community groups by connecting families to said organizations through service-based learning opportunities.
Thank you to all of the families, volunteers, facilitators and sponsors who joined us! The event was a great success with over 200 folks participating in a celebratory morning of family community service! Together we were able to:
- Prepare items for birthday packages Birthday Wishes uses to support birthday celebrations for homeless children.
- Create and assembled 70 Story Dice Bags to be donated to Center for New Americans, Juntos Collaborative, Springfield Public Library and other local English Language Arts (ELA) education organizations.
- Assemble over 100 Personal Care Bags to be donated to Northampton Survival Center, Lorraines Soup Kitchen & Pantry and other local human service organizations.
- Over 100 festive and whimsical placemats were decorated by collage and paint to brighten the day of local community senior center patrons, including Hampden Senior Center and South County Senior Center.
- Make & take papercraft flowers were created to pass along as a random act of kindness and gratitude to community members and service organizations.
We look forward to hosting more Family Community Service Events, but we can’t do it without your help! Want to join our Community Service Committee? We want to hear from you:
Please be sure to hit “submit” and we’ll be in contact with you about volunteering with us for our next event.
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event is a Hilltown Families event and is co-sponsored by Northampton Public Schools/CFCE through a grant from the MA Department of Early Education and Care.
Big thank you to our sponsors & volunteers!
- A2Z Science & Learning Store
- Easthampton Savings Bank
- India House Restaurant
- Northampton Area Pediatric
VOLUNTEERS & FACILITATORS
We could not do this without the support of our sponsors, nor the support of our organizers, volunteers & sponsors, including Event Coordinator Extraordinaire, ❤Ronna Kullberg, Barbara Black, Tanzi Cannon-Eckerle, Sheila Carpenter, John Connolly, Evan Curran, Hilltown Charter Cooperative Public School, Zeena Hutchinson, Robin Huntley, Nadia Kamel, Hanna Kanig, Alyssa Kuhn, Matt Kullberg, Cam Kullberg, Leah Letourneau, Megan Briggs Lyster, Erik Lyster, Zoe Narkewicz, Lily Rogers, Hunter Salem, Persephone Sarantidis, Lill Stordeur, Sarah Towers, Georgie von Furth, Lisa Vasiloff, Emma Waslick, Jane Wegscheider, Renee Wetstein, and Hannah Wilk.