Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event: November 22nd!
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event
Saturday, November 22nd from 10am-1pm
Leeds Elementary School in Northampton, MA
Hilltown Families will be hosting a Saturday morning of family volunteering during our fall Family Community Service Event on Saturday, November 22nd from 10am-1pm in Northampton, MA!
Two years ago was our inaugural Family Community Service Night where we focused on human service organizations, and last year was our Spring Family Community Service Event where we focused on animal welfare and food security. Through both events, families were able to put in 750 hours of community service! Check out this great video that shares the joy and excitement families experienced together while engaged in volunteerism for their community at two of our family community service events… and then make plans to join us for our newest event this fall!
Our third community service event will be on Saturday, November 22nd and will again be held at Leeds Elementary School in Northampton. We will be offering five volunteer stations for families to participate in hands-on service projects for ALL AGES that support education, children’s welfare, and human services. Families will also be able to bring home one of their service projects to continue their community service together from home.
With a Community Service Passport in hand, families can travel to each station and have their passport stamped after completing their service project. In their Passports parents will find conversation starters, online resources and recommended reading lists for each station, and children can share what they liked best about each project by filling in their Passport. Parents can use the Passport to help guide youth participants in learning about human services, education and children’s welfare.
Our Fall Volunteer Stations include:
- CHILDREN IN TRANSITION: Creating Birthdays in a Box for children in transition with Birthday Wishes. Families can help prepare items for packages Birthday Wishes uses to support birthday celebrations for homeless children. (Facilitated by Birthday Wishes)
- ELA EDUCATION: Story dice will be made to be donated to Center for New Americans, Juntos Collaborative, Springfield Public Library and other local English Language Arts (ELA) education organizations. Families will craft dice to be used to support language development for children in need of support. (Facilitated by Shiprock & Anchordog)
- SELF CARE: Families will assemble personal care bags to be donated to Northampton Survival Center, Lorraines Soup Kitchen & Pantry and other local human service organizations. (Facilitated by the Northampton High School Key Club)
- ELDER CONNECTIONS: Festive and whimsical placemats will be decorated by collage and paint to brighten the day of local community senior center patrons. (Facilitated by The Art Garden)
- RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS: Make, take and give handmade paper flowers with notes of kindness created at this station to share with members of your community. (Facilitated by Art Alive)
- READING CIRCLE: Cheri Hardy, Children’s Librarian at the Hatfield Public Library, will be reading stories from our recommended reading list of books that connect children with projects they are participating in at our volunteer stations.
In addition to our Volunteer Stations, we will have several opportunities for families to bring and donate items from home, including:
- Wrapping paper to be donated to Birthday Wishes.
- New toys to be donated to Toys for Tots.
- Travel size personal care items to be used in our Self Care station and donated to local human service organizations.
- Adult socks to be donated to the Socks for Seniors project.
When you need a break with your littlest ones, not only will there be have a quiet room to nurse and reset, but we will also have a couple of Story Walks:
- The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins. A story about friendship and sharing.
- Many Nations by Joseph Bruchac. An alphabet book depicting aspects of Native American life, representative of the diversity of Native nations.
SIGN UP TO JOIN US – Registration has been closed.
Thank you for your interest in participating in our Family Community Service Event! With 200 people signed up, we’re all filled and registration has been closed. If you would like to be involved in a future Family Community Service Event, either as a participating family, committee member, sponsor or facilitator, please let us know and we will add you to our list.
Be sure to click on “Submit.”
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event is a Hilltown Families event and is co-sponsored by Northampton Public Schools/CFCE through a grant from the MA Department of Early Education and Care.
Big thank you to our sponsors
- A2Z Science & Learning Store
- Easthampton Savings Bank
- India House Restaurant
- Northampton Area Pediatric
Please let these businesses know that you appreciate their support of this event, making it possible for families to spend time volunteering together for their community! We could not do this without their support, nor the support of our organizers & volunteers, including Event Coordinator Extraordinaire, ❤Ronna Kullberg, Barbara Black, Tanzi Cannon-Eckerle, Sheila Carpenter, John Connolly, Hilltown Charter Cooperative Public School, Robin Huntley, Nadia Kamel, Hanna Kanig, Alyssa Kuhn, Matt Kullberg, Cam Kullberg, Leah Letourneau, Megan Briggs Lyster, Erik Lyster, Zoe Narkewicz, Lily Rogers, Hunter Salem, Persephone Sarantidis, Lill Stordeur, Sarah Towers, Georgie von Furth, Emma Waslick, Renee Wetstein, and Hannah Wilk.