Highlights at 10 Pioneer Valley Museums this Fall
Museums10: Fall Exhibits & Displays
Museums10 has release a new seasonal brochure to highlight the fall and winter displays and exhibitions at ten cultural, historical, and educational institutions throughout the Pioneer Valley (collectively known as Museums10). The brochure is a handy resource for both locals and visitors: it provides relevant contact and admissions information for each institution, making trip-planning significantly easier, and helps to publicize, and connect audiences with, a variety of displays and exhibitions that span a wide range of interests, ages, and expertise. This is outreach at its best: the brochure benefits audiences as well as other organizations with similar goals and similar content!
The member museums and galleries in Museums10 are: The Beneski Museum of Natural History; The Emily Dickinson Museum; The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art; The Hampshire College Art Gallery; Historic Deerfield; The Mead Art Museum at Amherst College; The Mount Holyoke College Art Museum; The Yiddish Book Center; The Smith College Museum of Art; and the University Museum of Contemporary Art at UMass Amherst.
The following is a partial list of each institution’s current and upcoming exhibitions and (if applicable) additional learning opportunities and events…
Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art — Amherst, MA
- Through November 10, 2013: Robert R. Zakanitch: A Garden of Ordinary Miracles
- Through February 23, 2014: Seriously Silly: A Decade of Art and Whimsy by Mo Willems
- Through Sunday, March 23, 2014: The Art of Eric Carle: Friends
- Visit the Art Studio (included in price of admission) during museum hours to explore art materials and techniques that reflect the art on view in the galleries!
Historic Deerfield — Deerfield, MA
- Weekends through Saturday, November 30: From Nature to Color: Fun with Natural Dyes
- New exhibition opening Saturday, September 28: Furniture Masterworks: Tradition and Innovation in Western Massachusetts.
Yiddish Book Center — Amherst, MA
- Sunday, September 29: Danny Kaye – multi-media presentation
- Sunday, October 21: Community Open House – talks, tours, and a concert
Smith College Museum of Art — Northampton, MA
- Friday, October 4, 2013 through Sunday, January 5, 2014: River of Gold: Precolumbian Treasures from Sitio Conte
- Friday, October 11 through Sunday, December 15, 2014: Art Stories: Personal Experiences with SCMA’s Collection
- FREE Second Friday: art activity, museum admission, and gallery talk each month for all ages from 4pm–8pm
University Museum of Contemporary Art — Amherst, MA
- Through Sunday, December 8: Du Bois In Our Time. Contemporary art inspired by W.E.B. Du Bois.
- Tuesday, October 15: The Suppression of Sound. An Evening with Poet Thomas Sayers Ellis and Saxophonist James Brandon Lewis.
- Saturday, October 19: Bus Trip: Guided Tour of the W.E.B. Du Bois Homesite
A complete list of the fall and winter offerings of each institution may be found on the Museums10 brochure (click for a link to download).