Springfield Museums Hosts Summer Spectacular Series
Museums Adventures this Summer at the Springfield Museums’ Summer Spectacular
The Springfield Museums are offering families a full six weeks of hands-on learning fun this summer! The Summer Spectacular combines fun, educational performances from the northeast’s top children’s performers with weekly learning adventures including art-making, musical instrument testing, and cultural explorations. There’s always something to do and learn at the Springfield Museums, and the Spectacular is helping to make the museum even more fun. Families can visit frequently this summer and be assured that there will be something new to do!
Visiting a museum is a very effective way to beat the heat – it’s cool and out of the sun, and presents more opportunities for learning than a visit to the mall or a movie theater. A typical day at the museum could include a visit to the museums’ collection of Indian motorcycles, some interactive play in Gameland, a science experiment with a Roving Scientist, some up-close-and-personal time with live butterflies, a meet-and-greet with some exotic critters, inspired art-making, and a hilarious musical, performed entirely with handmade puppets!
All of the learning experiences offered at the museum are designed with the topics presented in current exhibits in mind. Participation in the activities helps to expand the learning that families do while visiting, and helps to engage younger visitors who may rely solely on their auditory and visual skills in order to learn, instead of pairing observations with a reading of posted information. Allowing kids to experience things for themselves helps to solidify the new concepts that they’ve discovered at the museum, and helps to ensure that they’ll remember the experience for a long time to come.
The centerpiece of the six-week series is the array of top-tier family performers from around the northeast that will appear in the Davis Auditorium every Wednesday through Friday at 1pm. Performances will include:
- High energy acrobatics and comedy by The Secret Circus (Wednesday July 10)
- African rhythms by Cornell “Sugarfoot” Coley (Thursday July 11)
- The Bully Busters by The Puppet People (Friday July 12)
- Charismatic Comedy Magic with Matt Roberts (Wednesday July 17)
- Dance, Dance, Dance presented by Okra Dance Company (Thursday July 18)
- Sleeping Beauty performed by National Marionette Theatre (Friday July 19)
- Animal Adventures’ Premium Live Animal Show (Wednesday July 24)
- Rock and roll family band Josh & the Jamtones (Thursday July 25)
- The Pirate, the Princess and the Pea performed by Crabgrass Puppets (Friday July 26)
A full schedule of events is available on the museums’ website. For more information, contact the museums at 413-263-6800. Admission to the Springfield Museums is free for Springfield residents, but non-residents pay $15 for adult admission and $8 for children ages 3-17. The museums, located at 21 Edwards Street, are open from 10am-5pm Monday-Saturday, and from 11am-5pm on Sundays. www.springfieldmuseums.org