Recommended Fiction Titles with Autistic Characters
QUESTION AND ANSWERS
One of our readers is looking for a book recommendation written from the perspective of a child with Asperger’s syndrome or autism for their preteen reader. Any suggestions?
- Amy Meltzer recommends: Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko, and Rules by Cynthia Lord.
- Kate Holdsworth Hammond recommends: The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd
- Rachael Laurie recommends: ASD and Me: Learning About High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder by Teresa DeMarsli
- Karrisa Fabin recommends: Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
- Kate Holdsworth Hammond recommends: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- Colleen Dowd recommends: Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s by John Elder Robison
- Vickie Riggs Selleck recommends: The White Bicycle by Beverley Brenna
Dan McManmon from CIP in Lee, MA recommends AANE as a good resource in New England. They have a “fiction for children” section on their web site with a few options. Another resource is Free Spirit Publishing, recommended by Shoshona King for their survival guide type books.