Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event: May 4, 2013
Click here to find out how this wonderful community-service event went: Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event Generates 450 Hours of Community Service in a Single Morning… and a whole lotta fun!
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event
Saturday, May 4, 2013 from 10am-1pm
Leeds Elementary School in Northampton, MA
Join Hilltown Families for a Saturday morning of volunteering together with your family during our spring Family Community Service Event on Saturday, May 4th from 10am-1pm in Northampton, MA!
This past fall at our inaugural Family Community Service Night we focused on human service organizations and families had a great time working together in support of several local non-profits.
Our spring event on Saturday, May 4th will be held at Leeds Elementary School in Northampton. We will be offering seven volunteer stations for families to participate in hands-on service projects for ALL AGES that support animal welfare organizations, conservation efforts and food security. Families will also be able to bring home several of their service projects to continue their community service together from home.
With a Community Service Passport in hand, families can travel to each station and have their Passport stamped after completing their service project. In their Passports parents will find conversation starters, online resources and recommended reading lists for each station, and children can share what they liked best about each project by filling in their Passport. Parents can use the Passport to help guide youth participants in learning about animal welfare, conservation efforts and food security.
Our Spring Volunteer Stations include:
- BIRD HOUSE BUILDING: Bluebird houses will be constructed on site to be donated to the Franklin Land Trust. Families can help assemble & sand houses… something for all ages. (Facilitated by the Northampton High School Woodworking Club)
- FELINE FUN: Make catnip toys for cats to be donated to the Dakin Humane Society for cats waiting for adoption. (Facilitated by Dakin Humane Society)
- FLEECE CHEWS FOR CANINES: Make and donate chew toys for dogs of families in need with Kane’s Krusade. (Facilitated by Give a Hoot Pets)
- SOW AN EXTRA ROW: Learn about growing extra food in your family garden plot or container gardens to harvest and donate to a local food pantry. Go home with a plant starter and seeds to plant and nurture this summer. (Facilitated by Grow Food Northampton)
- SEED BOMBS: Create dirt bombs with native wildflower seeds to use for promoting natural habitats for pollinators. Go home with your very on seed bombs! (Facilitated by Help Yourself!)
- GIVING BAGS: Upcycle old t-shirts into giving bags to take home for collecting food for animal shelters, food pantries or other service organization in need of donations. (Facilitated by Knack)
- LETTER WRITING: Learn about the work of participating organizations and write letters of appreciation, or participate in letter writing campaigns. (Facilitated by the Northampton High School Key Club)
Donation Stations: In addition to our volunteer stations, we will have several opportunities for families to bring and donate items from home, including:
- Cat food & cat toys to be donated to Dakin Humane Society.
- Dog food to be donated to Kane’s Krusade, including: new, unopened dry dog good (no Beneful or Ol’ Roy, please); canned dog food; and dog treats (no treats form China, please).
- Baby blankets, receiving blankets, baby wipes & kids polar fleece hats to be donated to Urban Wildlife Rehabilitation.
Pet Adoption: Stop by and visit Dakin Humane Society’s pet adoption station. Families can learn more about Dakin’s services and programs, and the adoption process. Who knows, maybe you’ll meet your new furry friend! If a family meets an animal they would like to adopt, they can complete their adoption process at either Dakin’s Springfield or Leverett Adoption Centers.
Food: Cup & Top Cafe will be joining us with food to fuel our volunteering families, selling coffee/tea, beverages, pastries and light lunch fare. So be sure to come hungry (and thirsty!).
Questions? Call 413-961-9367
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event is a Hilltown Families event and is co-sponsored by Northampton Public Schools/CFCE through a grant from the MA Department of Early Education and Care.
Thank you to all of the businesses who have made donations to the Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event, including:
- Collective Copies
- Easthampton Savings Bank
- Give a Hoot Pets
- Greenfield Savings Bank
- High Mowing Organic Seeds
- Hilltown Tree & Garden
- Plant Euphoria
- Pelican Products in Greenfield
- Lowe’s in Hadley
- Sangha Farm
- Seeds of Change
- Staples in Northampton
- Yankee Home Improvement
- Whole Foods Market in Hadley
Please let these businesses know that you appreciate their support of this event, making it possible for families to spend time volunteering together for their community! We could not do this without their support, nor the support of our organizers & volunteers, including Barbara Black, Tanzi Cannon-Eckerle, Jess Kuttner, Robin Morgan-Huntley, Deborah Slavitt, Sarah Towers, Northampton High School Woodworking Club and the Northampton High School Key Club!