Local Families Give 300 Hours of Community Service!
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Night
Thank you to all of the families who joined us for the Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Night this past Friday evening, November 30, 2012! The event was a great success with nearly 150 folks joining us for a fun evening of community service. By spending a couple of hours helping out in hands-on projects at five different stations, participating families were able to give 300 hours of service to our community!
Together we were able to:
- Make 10 blankets to donate to Safe Passage!
- Fill 50 bags with personal care items to donate to Northampton Survival Center!
- Decorate over 100 place mats to give to homebound elders through the Meals on Wheels program!
- Create cards & fill 50 bags with fun items for kids at Bay Sate Children’s Hospital!
- Decorate 50 pots planted with paperwhites to pass along to a community member or community space!
AT HOME: Equally as important, families learned how they can be of service to their community on their own:
- Families can fill ziplock bags with personal care items or healthy snacks & water to carry with them to give to a person in need they might meet while traveling around town.
- A family can make no-sew fleece blankets as a family project to donate to a local shelter.
- Cards can be made at home to be sent to a child in the hospital, or homebound elders in their community.
- A random act of kindness, like giving a planted paperwhite to your library, nursing home, school, or elder in your neighborhood, can bring joy and beauty to others, and is a fun creative project families can do together.