Q&A: 15 Recommended Activities Grandparents Can Do With Their Grandkids in Western MA
QUESTION AND ANSWERS
Patricia Valenti writes, “What are some good activities in the area for grandparents to do with their grandkids, or are there any local grandparents groups? I watch my daughter’s son a couple of times a week and want to get out with him more!”
- Carrie Gabinelle Duda recommends, “Tons of playgroups around. I’ve seen plenty of grandparents there.”
- Zoe Wright Johnson recommends, “The Northampton Parents Center seems particularly grandparent friendly!”
- Abbe Laine Schiowitz recommends, “The Amherst Family Center is grandparent friendly as well.”
- Community Network for Children recommends, “We have playgroups and story hours that grandparents attend as well.”
- Amy Vlastos Benoit recommends, “The Belchertown Family Center too!”
- Kara Kitchen recommends, “The Dalton CRA sees many kids with their grandparents at Kindergym (includes play, craft, snack+swim time!) on Mon. & Wed. mornings, swim lessons (grand/parent/toddler class is free!), at their many sports leagues games, as well as their many free community events (like concerts, movies, holiday events).”
- Berkshire Athenaeum recommends, “Have you considered a visit to one of our many local museums? We have museum passes for free/reduced general admission.”
- Sandy Courtney recommends, “The Palmer/Monson Family Network runs a Drop-In Playgroup Tues-Fri mornings. Check out the Friends of the Palmer/Monson Family Network Facebook page for updates! – Most libraries have story hours for children as well – Monson Free Library has Weds mornings @ 10:30 and Baby Story Time on Friday mornings @ 10:30.”
- Jean Engel recommends, “The childrens department at the Lee Library is always safe and welcoming. There are many weekly activities there.”
- Linda Bennett-Mason recommends, “Yes the library in Westfield is good too.”
- Mandy Gerryrecommends, “Come to the Northampton Parents Center, in downtown Northampton, lower level of Edwards Church. Open 9:30-11:30 M-Th, drop in playgroup for birth to 5 and their caregivers.”
- Sharon Hawkes recommends, “The librarian from Lenox is thrilled to see all these nice comments about libraries (And yes, the Lenox Library also have storytimes and special events about once a month that are great for bonding with grandkids)!”
- Carrie St John recommends, “Monday story time at Forbes Library (Northampton). There is also a play area and craft/puzzle area.
- Donna Todd Rivers recommends, “If they are interested in starting their handcrafted holiday gifts…a mug for Dad with their handprints on it, a beaded necklace for Mom that they made themselves…at Bisque, Beads & Beyond (Pittsfield)!
For a list of playgroups and story hours that happen each week, be sure to check our List of Weekly Suggested Events for a comprehensive list!