World Culture Celebrated through Music and Culinary Arts in the Berkshires this Weekend
Celebrate World Cultures through Music & Culinary Arts at the Ethnic Fair in Pittsfield, MA
Sunday, August 5th, 2012
Celebrate world cultures at the annual Pittsfield Ethnic Fair this weekend! Held on South Street in the heart of downtown Pittsfield, the fair features music, food, performances, and more!
Begin the day at an opening ceremony featuring Scottish bag pipers, learn about klezmer music while watching Klezamir perform, transport your mind to Italy at Bell Acosto’s concert, and see dance troupes (made up of dancers of all ages) perform traditional dances from all around the world.
For lunch, try German sausages with Malaysian spring rolls on the side, Italian chicken cacciatore and a traditional Indian mango lassi, or corned beef sliders straight from Ireland! There will also be vendors, sharing goods from all around the world!
The event is a chance for families to learn about world cultures through music and food, and also to learn about their community – many of the groups performing are local, and the delicious foods available are provided by local groups and restaurants. Families can learn together about a culture (Irish, Italian, German, Malaysian, etc.!), then discover about how it is present in their community. Supplement studies of immigration and world cultures by visiting the ethnic fair!
This free event takes place from 12noon-5pm on Sunday, August 5th. For more information, visit downtownpittsfield.com.
Want to explore world cultures at home? Music and food are a great way to introduce different cultures to your kids! Here’s a suggested list of music and cookbooks to get you started:
- In the Fiddler’s House
- Celtic Dreamland (Putumayo Kids)
- World Playground
- African Playground
- Latin Playground
- Brazilian Cafe
- Salsa Around the World
CULINARY ARTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
- ITALIAN: Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
- PUERTO RICAN: Puerto Rican Cookery
- INDIAN: Madhur Jaffrey’s Step-by-Step Cooking: Over 150 Dishes from India and the Far East, Including Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Malaysia
- CARIBBEAN: Caribbean Food Made Easy
- GERMAN: Spoonfuls of Germany: Culinary Delights of the German Regions in 170 Recipes
- IRISH: Complete Book of Irish Country Cooking: Traditional and Wholesome Recipes from Ireland
- MEXICAN: Truly Mexican: Essential Recipes and Techniques for Authentic Mexican Cooking
- MALAYSIAN: Authentic Recipes from Malaysia