Suggested Events 02/06/10-02/12/10
Discover fun and educational events happening this weekend in Western Mass, along with announcements, upcoming events, links, resources and the HFVS podcast.
SUGGEST AN EVENT
If you have a family-friendly event or educational program happening in Western Massachusetts that you’d like to let us know about, post your event on our “Suggest An Event” page. The events below are “suggested.” Please take the time to confirm that these events are happening, along with time, location, age appropriateness and costs before attending
DINNER IN THE HILLTOWNS
- Saturday in Ashfield at Elmer’s: Jim’s good old BBQ Ribs, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Mac and Cheese. 396 Main Street 628-4003
- Saturday in Cummington at Remington Lodge: Pan-Asian Celebration with sesame pickled vegetables, fresh spring rolls with plum dipping sauce, coconut-lime soup with jasmine rice and pan-fried tofu, shrimp pad Thai with fresh bean sprouts and cilantro and lime meringue tartlets. 21 West Main Street. Dinner served from 6 to 8pm by advance reservation only. Please call 413-634-5493. BYOB
Amy & Alice of the Old Creamery in Cummington, MA writes: Dear Friends & Neighbors – Warm thanks to those of you who were able to attend the community wide co-op meeting on Sunday. Your enthusiastic participation has given us a glowing green light to take the step of forming a steering committee to move forward in our co-op explorations. Our consultants were in awe. They said, “Do you know what an amazing community you have here?” We said, “We do know!” We’re excited and energized from the meeting. We’ll have an update message to you soon.
HERBAL APPRENTICESHIP IN THE HILLTOWNS: Blazing Star Herbal School in Ashfield, MA is now taking applicants for their Tuesday Apprenticeship for Beginner and Intermediate Students. This innovative program based on becoming a community herbalist by weaving experiential learning about healing herbs with seasonal rhythms and timeless elements of traditional healing. Program begins 04/20/10 from 10am-4pm and ends 02/11. Total Tuition is $1750. Options for a payment plan are available. For more information contact Tony(a) Lemos at (413) 625-6875, firstname.lastname@example.org. – Blazing Star Herbal School is located in the heart of Western Mass and is dedicated to teaching traditional herbal medicine in a way that supports a more sustainable future for all members of the green world and shows respect for the integrity of nature.
HILLTOWN JR OLYMPICS: The 31st annual Hilltown Junior Olympics happens in Sept in Goshen and Chesterfield is in need of a representative from the town. If anyone is interested in volunteering or learning more, email Janet at email@example.com, or give her a call at 296-4714.
CYBERBULLYING: Click HERE to download a parent handout on cyberbullying.
GIRLS & MATH: The Los Angeles Times reports: Female teachers may pass on math anxiety to girls, study finds – Girls have long embraced the stereotype that they’re not supposed to be good at math. It seems they may be getting the idea from a surprising source — their female elementary school teachers. Read more HERE. – Here’s a good article on how to help grow our daughters math confidence at www. daughters.com.
TWEETS THIS WEEK
- Is the Media Raising Your Kids? Landmark Kaiser Family Foundation Study Details Media Saturation http://ow.ly/111iq
- Transition Towns Movement: Training for Transition on Feb. 27-28 at Woolman Hill Retreat Center in Deerfield, MA http://ow.ly/13KV5
- Hardy Girls Healthy Women Protest American Apparel’s Best Bottom Contest http://ow.ly/13KLZ
- Crazy Talk! – “Kids’ lingerie” line features photos of young girls on a stripper pole??!! http://ow.ly/13MqJ
- Hilltown Artist & Artisans Wanted http://ow.ly/13KKm
- Massachusetts Life Sciences Center Launches Matching Grant Program http://ow.ly/13KJ8
- Talking to kids about fear of natural disaster http://bit.ly/6DsKfJ
- Lilly Library in Florence is looking for teens to join their Teen Advisory Board. For more information call Kim at 587-1500.
- Greenfield Center School will host family fun Open House & Birds of Prey presentation on Sun 02/07 http://ow.ly/10BTq
- Custom Made Gluten-Free Cakes in Florence, MA at Cup & Top Cafe! http://ow.ly/12Urz
- Brown Bag supplies a free monthly bag of groceries for seniors 55 & older in Western MA. 247-9738.
- New web site launched for the Old Creamery Co-op http://ow.ly/12moD
- Web Recommendation: TEACHER LINGO – A place for teachers to hang out and “lingo.” http://ow.ly/10YOy
- Check out the list of films showing as part of the Eric Carle Museum Black History Month film Series http://ow.ly/13T8i
- Follow us on
WEEKLY LIST OF SUGGESTED EVENTS
Events Happening in the Hilltowns
Saturday – 02/06/10
6-10am – FAMILY RADIO: Valley Free Radio (WXOJ-LP 103.3FM Northampton, MA) offers 4-hours of commercial-free family programing every Saturday, including the Hilltown Family Variety Show and Spare the Rock. Tune in on your FM dial, or listen live via streaming audio at www.valleyfreeradio.org.
10am-3pm – CULTURAL EVENT: Celebrate the Chinese New Year with events and book fair sponsored by the Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School at Barnes & Noble. firstname.lastname@example.org Hadley, MA (FREE)
12Noon-8pm – GRAND OPENING: The hilltown’s very own Bread Euphoria will be hosting thier official grand opening at the new cafe space. Bring the family and come enjoy free cake and music. www.breadeuphoria.org Haydenville, MA (FREE)
Sunday – 02/07/10
1-4pm – OPEN HOUSE & BIRDS OF PREY: The Greenfield Center School will be hosting an open house. There will be a free Birds of Prey presentation with Tom Ricardi, raptor rehabilitator from 1-2pm. See live birds, including owls, hawks, eagles and more. From 2-4pm, the open house will include several free bird activities, including nest making, bird art, dissection of owl pellets, and crafting bird feeders. All are welcomed. Refreshments served. The Greenfield Center School is located at 71 Mountague City Road. For more information call 413-773-1700 Greenfield, MA (FREE)
2-6pm – NATURE PROGRAM: Winter Crows with Mass Audubon. Come learn about the American crow and join the search for a local nighttime roost congregation. 584-3009 Easthampton, MA
2pm – MUSIC: Help for Haiti concert at Shelburne Falls Memorial Hall. Benefit for Partners in Health with Tracy Kidder and Eilen Jewell, Kris Delmhorst, Rani Arbo, Jeffrey Foucault, Sweetback Sisters, Naia Kete, Erica Wheeler, Winterpills and Sonya Kitchell. www.signaturesounds.com 665-4036 Shelburne Falls, MA (FUNDRAISER)
3pm – MUSIC: Jerry Noble and Friends Concert–An afternoon of old favorites and warm jazz with guest artists: clarinetist Bob Sparkman; jazz violinist Kenny Butler; and bassist Genevieve Rose. www.smith.edu/smitharts 585-ARTS Northampton, MA (FREE)