Neighbors Rally Together After Northampton Fires
Resources for Neighbors and Victims of Northampton 12/27/09 Fires
Please post any resources for this tragic events below. More will be added to this list as they are submitted:
- RED CROSS: If you are a victim of the fire and are in need of immediate services, please contact the Pioneer Valley Chapter of the Red Cross at (413) 584-8887.
- COMMUNITY MEETING: Northampton Ward 3 Neighborhood Association will have an emergency meeting on Tuesday (12/29/09) at 7pm. Read more here. Meeting location has been changed. It will be held at College Church, 48 Pomeroy Terrace in Northampton, MA. Details here.
- HAMPSHIRE COUNTY CARES: Northampton Arson Fire Relief.
- Melissa Borchardt writes: Just saw this on WWLP – You can donate to local disaster relief by going to the Pioneer Valley Red Cross website or mailing a donation to 506 Cottage Street, Springfield, MA. Be sure to label your donation to “Northampton Arson Fires”
- ONLINE DISCUSSION: There is a Friends of Northampton Arson Victims discussion page on Facebook. See their update below in the comments section.
- ONLINE RESOURCES: Read Gazettnet article, Online resources: Where to find coverage, aid outlets, community connection and more.
- VIDEO: Gazettenet release the video below stating, “An arsonist struck the streets of Northampton, Mass., early on Sunday, December 27, 2009, with lethal results; two residents of the city’s Fair Street died in one of the nine house and car fires that erupted in a 75-minute span. Later Sunday, Mass. Gov. Deval Patrick joined state and city officials to attempt to calm a jolted city and to pledge to find the perpetrator.”
- CONTACT NUMBERS: Information regarding the fires, no matter how insignificant it may seem, please call one of the following numbers:
- Massachusetts Arson Hotline: 800-682-9229
- Hampshire County Detective Bureau: 413-586-5150
- Northampton Police Department: 413-587-1100
- PRECAUTIONS: Some steps families can all take are:
- Lock car doors
- Leave outside lights on
- Remove any trash or debris from porch areas or around the structure of homes
- Install motion lights, if possible
- Report any unusual persons or vehicles to the police