Volunteer Opportunities for Hilltown Families
Katarina Noyes, Parent Aide & Groups Coordinator for Berkshire Children and Families in Hadley, MA writes:
Become a Parent Aid Volunteer!
Parent Aides receive training and then are matched with a parent who wants the service. They spend 3-5 hours a week supporting a parent in multiple ways including:
- Raise the parent’s self-esteem and self-confidence
- Assist parents to find resources for their families
- Support positive parenting to prevent child abuse and neglect
- Increase understanding of child development
- Expand social contacts and reduce isolation
- Help parents learn to help themselves
Who are volunteers?
Volunteers come from all walks of life and share a common interest in building a nurturing relationship with a parent in the community who needs support. Parent Aides can be parents, or not, working or retired.
Criteria for being a Parent Aide
Volunteers need to be at least 21 years of age, agree to attend bi-weekly group supervision at the agency, and be available to meet weekly with the parent. Volunteers must have a valid driver’s license, car insurance and access to a car. A background check is required. If you are caring, non-judgmental and a good listener, you can be a Parent Aide.
Please contact Katarina at (413) 584-5690 ext.140 or firstname.lastname@example.org