RECALL: Children’s Jewelry Craft Kit Contains Lead
Children’s Jewelry Craft Kits Recalled by Action Products International Due to Risk of
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed
- Name of product: Abalone and Venetian Carnevale Necklace Craft Kits
- Units: About 2,900 in the United States and 36 in Canada
- Importer: Action Products International Inc., of Ocala, Fla.
- Hazard: The lobster clasps in both craft kits contain high levels of lead. The Abalone Necklace’s pendant also contains high levels of lead. Lead can be toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health effects.
- Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
- Description: The recall includes the children’s jewelry craft kits “Abalone Necklace” (item #67117) and “Venetian Carnevale Necklace” (item #67118). Both kits contain components to assemble necklaces including charms, beads, wire and clasps. The kit’s name, model number, and “Curiosity Kits” are printed on the product’s packaging.
- Sold at: Various retailers in the U.S. and Canada from June 2007 through April 2009 for about $6.
- Manufactured in: China (surprise!)
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately take the recalled children’s craft necklaces away from children and contact Action Products International to arrange for the necklace’s return and to receive a free replacement. Shipping will be free for consumer returns.
- Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Action Products International at (800) 772-2846 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.APII.com
- Note: Health Canada’s press release can be seen HERE.