Suggested Events 02/21/09-02/27/09
If you have a family-friendly event or educational program happening in Western Massachusetts that you’d like to let us know about, post your event on our “Suggest An Event” page.
Bill Childs writes: “This Saturday (02/21/09) we are thrilled to welcome Elizabeth Mitchell to the Northampton Community Music Center Recital Hall for a concert at 2:00. It’s just $5, with net proceeds benefiting NCMC’s scholarship fund. NCMC is located at 139 South Street in Northampton, MA.
“Elizabeth Mitchell (of the band Ida) is one of the preeminent voices in family music today, with her indie folk — on legendary Smithsonian Folkways records — providing the gentle but rollicking soundtrack for thousands of childhoods. This will be a full band show — with her husband and Ida bandmate Daniel Littleton, daughter Storey, and violinist Jean Cook. Though their band Ida has been to Northampton, sharing the stage with the likes of Erin McKeown, this is their first family show here. You can read more and listen to some of their music at www.youaremyflower.org.”
UPDATE (02/20): Bill Childs writes: “Venue change. To make sure we have plenty of space for the Elizabeth Mitchell show, we’ve moved it from NCMC over to the banquet hall at the World War II Club, 50 Conz St. in Northampton. Recently renovated and super nice, it’s going to be a great place for the show. Good parking, both right next to the building and in the neighborhood. Still 2:00 tomorrow (Saturday), still going to be great. Thanks everyone! See you tomorrow!”
HILLTOWN FAMILY VARIETY SHOW
Tune in on Saturdays from 9-10am to Valley Free Radio (VFR), 103.3FM (Northampton, MA), or listen via streaming audio at www.ValleyFreeRadio.org. This week you’ll hear new music by Lunch Money, Elizabeth Mitchell, They Might Be Giants, Billy Jonas, Michelle Shocked and more.
And … we’re still offering four free tickets to see the Golden Dragon Acrobats present Cirque D’Or performed live in Northampton, MA at the Calvin Theater on Sunday, March 1st, at 4 pm, courtesy of Iron Horse Entertainment. Deadline to enter is Wednesday, 02/25/09 @ 7pm (EST). We’ve gotten a great response. If you haven’t entered to win yet, there’s still time! Click HERE for more details. You can also increase your chances to win by checking out Bill’s post here.
Every Saturday VFR offers four hours of commercial-free, quality family program from 6-10am. It’s better than Saturday morning cartoons!
Events Happening in the Hilltowns
Saturday – 02/21/09
- 7am-9am – Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child on 103.3FM WXOJ, Northampton, MA or starting at 8am on The River.
- 9am-10am – Hilltown Family Variety Show on 103.3FM WXOJ, Northampton, MA.
- 9am-5pm – The Amherst Orchid Society presents their annual show at Smith Vocational High School in Northampton, MA.
- 1oam-1pm – Outdoor Games Day for families with Earthwork.
- 10:30am – Family concert at Cup & Top in Florence, MA with John Powers & The Pop Stars. [Free]
- 10:30am – Family concert at the Jones Library in Amherst, MA with Annie and the Natural Wonder Band. [Free]
- 10:30am – Story hour at the Odyseey Bookshop in South Hadley, MA. (Free)
- 10:30am-4pm – MA State Yo-Yo Contest at American International College in Springfield, MA. [Free]
- 10:30am – Film at Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, MA: Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears
- 11am – BTF Plays! presents A Tour of Mount Olympus at the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield, MA.
- 11am-3pm – Winter Carnival Family Day at the Controy Pavillion in Pittsfield, MA.
- 11:30am – Youth Film Festival in Northampton, MA.
- Noon-1:50pm – Public ice skating at the Collins/Moylan Memorial Skating Rink in Greenfield. Skate rentals available. 413.772.6891
- 1pm – Film at Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, MA: Reading Rainbow’s Tar Beach.
- 2pm – Family concert with Elizabeth Mitchell at Northampton Community Music Center in Northampton, MA.
- 2:45-4:35pm – Public ice skate at Pitzpatrick Arena in Holyoke, MA.
- 3pm – The Adventures of Brer Rabbit theater production at Williston Northampton School in Easthampton, MA.
- 4 – 7pm – There will be a public ice skate at the Mullins Center Ice Rink at UMass in Amherst. Skate rentals available. 413.545.3990
- 5-8pm – Fire and Ice at Red Gate Farm in Buckland, MA.
- 5-8pm – Mardi Gras Party at River Valley Market in Northampton, MA with food & music to chase those winter blues away! [Free]
- 5:30pm-11pm – Mardi Gras celebration at the All Souls Church in Greenfield with music, auction, fortune teller, mask-making and more.
Sunday – 02/22/09
- 10am-4pm – The Amherst Orchid Society presents their annual show at Smith Vocational High School in Northampton, MA.
- 11am & 1pm – SkiJor Clinics at Notchview in Windsor, MA.
- 1pm – Film at Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, MA: John Henry.
- 1pm – UMass Women’s Hockey at the Mullins Center in Amherst, MA.
- 1:30-3:20pm – Public ice skating at the Collins/Moylan Memorial Skating Rink in Greenfield. Skate rentals available. 413.772.6891
- 2pm – The Really Big Show at the Academy of Music in Northampton, MA.
- 4-6pm – Family Contra Dance at the Montague Grange in Montague, MA with Tim Van Egmond with Shingle the Roof.
For more events happening this week visit our “Suggest An Event” page. There are also fun suggestions on our THINGS TO DO, PLACES TO SEE page. If you know of an upcoming event that you would like to share with other families, please feel encourage to do so by posting it HERE.