Suggested Events 02/07/09-02/13/09
SUGGEST AN EVENT
If you have a family-friendly event or educational program happening in Western Massachusetts that you’d like to let us know about, post your event on our “Suggest An Event” page.
If the cold is holding your family hostage indoors, there are several outdoor activities happening this weekend to rescue you. Several varieties of family hikes are offered this weekend. Three are happening in the hilltowns (Buckland, Windsor and Williamsburg) and there is a moonlight snowshoe hike in Northfield.
On Saturday in Amherst families can fill their day with a family concert by The Nields, the annual Winter Fest at Cherry Hill Golf Course and ice skating at The Mullins Center at UMass.
Families interested in local food year round and sustainable living may want to head over to Greenfield on Saturday for the Winter Fare. The Winter Fare will include a Winter Farmers Market, Winter Fair Soup Cafe, workshops, recipe sharing, displays and a Barter Fair. Read our post from last year, Eat Locally Year-Round, for more insight about the Winter Fare.
HILLTOWN FAMILY VARIETY SHOW
The Hilltown Family Variety Show is pleased to offer four free tickets to see the Golden Dragon Acrobats present Cirque D’Or performed live in Northampton, MA at the Calvin Theater on Sunday, March 1st, at 4 pm, courtesy of Iron Horse Entertainment. Deadline to enter is Wednesday, 02/25/09 @ 7pm (EST). Click HERE for more details.
Events Happening in the Hilltowns
Saturday – 02/07/09
- 7am-9am – Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child on The River and 103.3FM WXOJ, Northampton, MA.
- 8:30am-12:15pm – Annual Girls and Women in Sports Day at WNEC in Springfield, MA. [Free]
- 9am-10am – Hilltown Family Variety Show on 103.3FM WXOJ, Northampton, MA.
- 9-11am – Valentine-Making Party at the Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, MA. Registration is required.
- 10am-1pm – Western Mass Tracking Society for families will meet at Lawrence Swamp on Station road in Amherst, MA.
- 10am-2pm – Winter Fare: Winter Farmers Market at Greenfield, MA.
- 10am-Noon – Art Making for Kids at the Lichtenstein Center for the Arts in Pittsfield, MA. [Free]
- 10:30am – Family concert with The Nields at the Jones Library in Amherst, MA. [Free]
- Noon-1:50pm – Public ice skating at the Collins/Moylan Memorial Skating Rink in Greenfield. Skate rentals available. 413.772.6891
- Noon-6pm – Winter Fest 2009 in at Cherry Hill Golf Course in Amherst, MA.
- 1-4pm – Kids are welcomed to explore coral reefs with North Star teenagers in Hadley, MA. [Free]
- 2pm & 3pm – The Hampshire Young People’s Chorus will perform in the auditorium and the Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, MA. [Free with admission]
- 2-4pm – Post-Ground Hog Day Celebration: Children’s Winter Adventure at Peaked Mountain on Miller’s Forest Tract in Monson, MA. [Free]
- 2-4pm – Snowshoe hike at Red Gate Farm in Buckland, MA.
- 3:45-4:30pm – Young Farmers at Red Gate Farm in Buckland, MA. [Free]
- 4 – 6:50pm – There will be a public ice skate at the Mullins Center Ice Rink at UMass in Amherst. Skate rentals available. 413.545.3990
- 5:30pm-7:30pm – Family moonlight snowshoe hike in Northfield, MA. Snowshoe rentals available.
- 6:30pm – Moon Light Hike at the Big View Trail Head in Williamsburg, MA. [Free]
Sunday – 02/08/09
- Dawn-2pm – Annual Youth Ice Fishing Derby at DAR in Goshen, MA.
- 1-4pm – In the Art Studio at the Eric Carle Museum in Amherst, MA. [Free with admission.]
- 1-3pm – Snowshoe Hike at Notchview in Windsor, MA.
- 1:30- 3:20pm – Public ice skating at the Collins/Moylan Memorial Skating Rink in Greenfield. Skate rentals available. 413.772.6891
- 5:30pm – Families are invited to the Valley Vegan Society potluck at Cafe Evolution in Florence, MA.
- 5pm – Parents looking for help with their taxes check out Tax Time at Elmer’s Store in Ashfield, MA with Helene Leue. [Free]
For more events happening this week visit our “Suggest An Event” page. There are also fun suggestions on our THINGS TO DO, PLACES TO SEE page. If you know of an upcoming event that you would like to share with other families, please feel encourage to do so by posting it HERE.