Moonlight Magic in Shelburne Falls, 2008
Moonlight Magic in Shelburne Falls on November 28th, 2008
It’s exciting and magical! Moonlight Magic takes over Shelburne Falls on Friday, November 28, 2008 from 4:30 – 10:00 PM.
Moonlight Magic is a community tradition held annually on the Friday after Thanksgiving coinciding with the annual “Holiday Lighting of the Village.” Many special features add to the traditional festive evening of family fun and holiday spirit in this classic New England village on the Mohawk Trail. Stores, galleries and restaurants stay open late for special holiday promotions. The streets are filled with caroling, sidewalk sales, art events and craft demonstrations. There will be vendor tables along the sidewalks with local non-profit groups holiday wreaths, baked goods and crafts. Live music and roving performers will be present on both sides of the river throughout the evening.
- The Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum will be open. This will be a rare opportunity to ride the brightly lit and beautifully restored Trolley No. 10 after dark. While you wait for the Trolley, warm up by the potbelly stove and enjoy a cup of warm cider in the museums classic restored wooden caboose. Take the Trolley to the Museum’s visitor center for interesting historic period displays of life in the area one hundred years ago. The kids will love the operating displays of toy trains.
- Mole Hollow Candle Company, a local candle company, provides 1500 luminary candles to line the village streets and sidewalks. The town lights up about 4:45 pm with the help of many volunteers. Bridge Street,
the main thoroughfare, will become a pedestrian walkway to allow space for street performers and holiday strollers.
- Santa will arrive about 4:45 PM on Deerfield Avenue and will be serenaded to his workshop at the Shelburne Senior Center. Children will be greeted at Santa’s Workshop for the first part of the evening.
- Cartoons will be shown on the big screen in the Memorial Hall Theater.
- Singing and instrumental groups will perform about town.
- There will be family fun and children’s activities such as cookie decorating, ornament making, and candle dipping. Knights in armor will greet people at Wandering Moon. Many of the village merchants will have in-store promotions and specials. Shelburne Falls is a great place to find one-of-a-kind and hand-made gift items.
- At the Shelburne Senior Center there will be a craft sale and the Mountain Lodge.
- A. F. & A. M.’s will offer soups and other items from their kitchen.
- Around the corner at the Village Information Center, Shelburne Falls Women’s Club will hold their annual Cookie Shoppe. The Friends of Arms Library will be holding their annual holiday book sale. Craft fairs will be held in the Eagles Hall and at the VFW. Many other private and non-profit groups will be offering items at sidewalk sales throughout the village.
- The Village Information Center, open throughout the evening, will provide accessible public restrooms.
Do you have a local community event you would like to share on Hilltown Families? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.