2008 Fids & Kamily Awards
Top Tunes for 2008
by Sienna Wildfield, Hilltown Family Variety Show
For the second year in a row I was honored to be asked to be a judge of the Fids and Kamily Music Poll (read about last years winners) … and I have to tell you, with all the great kids & family music that came out this year, it was no easy task!
What is the Fids and Kamily Music Poll?
The Fids and Kamily Poll is the first compilation of year-end kids and family music “best of” lists from critics, writers, radio programmers, and others involved in the music industry. The poll was launched in 2006 and was inspired by the Village Voice’s long-running “Pazz and Jop” music poll.
Top 10 Albums of 2008
In the third year of the Fids and Kamily Music Poll, Justin Roberts’ Pop Fly was voted the best kids and family album of the year. Pop Fly topped a list of outstanding releases in a year that included kids and family albums from mainstream/adult artists such as They Might Be Giants and Barenaked Ladies, as well as albums from new and upcoming kids and family artists such as Frances England and Recess Monkey. Roberts’ previous album Meltdown won the inaugural poll in 2006.
The Top 10 albums of 2008 are (in order):
- Justin Roberts – Pop Fly (read more)
- Frances England – Family Tree (read more)
- They Might Be Giants – Here Come the 123s (read more)
- Secret Agent 23 Skidoo – Easy (check out their video)
- The Terrible Twos – Jerzy the Giant (read more)
- Barenaked Ladies – Snacktime (read more)
- Recess Monkey – Tabby Road (remember when)
- Medeski, Martin & Wood – Let’s Go Everywhere (read more)
- ScribbleMonster – Songs With No Character (our number one pick!)
- Danielle Sansone – Two Flowers
Honorable Mentions (unranked next ten):
- Laurie Berkner – Rocketship Run
- Bill Harley – Yes To Running! (read more)
- Randy Kaplan – Loquat Rooftop (read more)
- Lisa Loeb – Camp Lisa
- Gunnar Madsen – I’m Growing
- Okee Dokee Brothers – Kids With Beards
- Ellis Paul – The Dragonfly Races (read our interview)
- Ralph’s World – The Rhyming Circus
- Brady Rymer – Here Comes Brady Rymer and the Little Band That Could (read more)
- Dan Zanes – Nueva York
A Few More
And if you’re looking for a list of the top 30 family albums released over the past year, consider these (unranked) wonderful releases too (we did!).
- Rebecca Frezza & Big Truck – Special Kind of Day (read more)
- Suzi Shelton – No Ordinary Day (read more)
- The Nields – Rock All Day: Rock All Night (read more)
- Mr. Saxaphone – Songs From the Treehouse (read more)
- Hot Peas ‘n Butter – The Pod Squad
- The Jellydots – Changing Skies (read more)
- Various Artists – Blue Moo
- Harmonica Pocket – Ladybug One (read more)
- The BummKinn Band – Rockin’ the YeeHaw (read more)
- The Hollow Trees – Welcome to Nelsonville (read more)
Plus one more:
- Imagination Movers – Juice Box Heroes
The full results of the poll, including essays on the top 10 albums and a listing of other nominated albums, are available at the Fids and Kamily website (http://fidsandkamily.com).
The list of judges for this years poll was great. Check out all the great folks and visit their sites to learn more about what they’re up to:
2008 Fids and Kamily Poll Judges