Local Restaurants Support Local Agriculture
Restaurants Serve Up Local Fare This Month
On Thursday August, 21st, talented area chefs will celebrate locally grown foods during the 5th annual Local Hero Restaurant Celebration organized by CISA.
Participating restaurants will showcase dishes featuring locally grown fruits, vegetables, meats and cheeses. Show your support for local agriculture and good food by dining out at one of the 34 Local Hero restaurants on August 21st. A sampling of the restaurant specials include:
- Steamed Australis barramundi with black bean sauce and local bok choy at The Great Wall in Florence.
- Local corn chowder with Pekarski Sausage smoked bacon at Sienna.
- Local Hero pizza topped with basil pesto, Hillside Gardens organic basil, walla walla onions, and tomatoes at Hillside Pizza.
- Scallops con pesca-pan-seared sea scallops with grilled fresh peaches and a peach, cognac cream sauce served over roasted fresh Hadley corn risotto with fresh basil and parmigiano at Carmelina’s.
- Steamed Black Sheep Farm haricot verts with olive oil and parmesan cheese to go from The Black Sheep Deli or eat the Black Sheep Farm ratatouille with farm fresh tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and onions from The Black Sheep Deli.
- Roasted beet and arugula salad with Sangha Farm goat cheese, spiced pecans, and sherry vinaigrette followed by your choice of roasted duck breast with fresh local peach chutney or sautéed ahi tuna nicoise with farm fresh haricot verts, roasted fresh red peppers and baby fingerlings at Butternuts Eatery.
- Roasted Veggie Platter – vegetables from Riverland Farm including roasted zucchini, summer squash, beets and onions, seasoned with a balsamic dressing and a little goat cheese from Goats Rising Farm served with a baked ricotta cheese spread and grilled foccaccia bread at Bridgeside Grille.
- Maple Glazed Outlook Farm Pork Chops stuffed with smoked cheddar and apple stuffing, with a side of freestone peach salsa and sides of Hatfield country style mashed potatoes, Native sweet corn, and seasonal vegetables from Union Station Restaurant.
“Our Local Hero restaurants serve the best tasting, freshest foods around. And at the same time, they support the local economy and help our farmers build stronger businesses,” says Local Hero Membership Coordinator Devon Whitney- Deal. “Everyone dining at a Local Hero restaurant will eat well and feel good about supporting one of our area’s most precious resources: our farms.”