Local Dinners for Local Diners
Notes from Nan
by HF Contributing Writer, Nan Parati
We’re gonna have a local dinner this week; all foods grown from around here! (I’m doing a local Willie Gray accent here—can you see it?) We’re not gonna do it like we usually do; we’re setup a buffet with different entrees and salads so that you can come and eat what you want, all you want for twenty bucks, ten for kids. (An’ no standin’ on yer knees pretendin’ yer a kid when ya ain’t!)
Now we ain’t got none a Willie Gray’s eggs for this dinner because Willie’s chickens are too cold again. Hot, cold, those chickens are never happy. However we do have food from:
- Paul and Amy of Sidehill Farm
- Derek and Marybeth from Sangha Farm
- Will and Donna from their farm
- Janet Clark from Steady Lane Farm
- Joel and Joan from Paddy Flat Farm
- Goat Rising Cheese from their Cheese farm
An’ there’s some others I don’t even know about. That’s a lotta farmers for one dinner!
Friday’s Menu (08/24/07)
Here’s what we’re havin:
- Bruschetta with eggplant caponata
- Spinach Mint Soup
- Corn and tomato salad with cilantro dressing
- Escarole Salad with Fried Shallots
- Miniature goat Cheese tarts
- Grilled eggplant with fresh herbs
- Norwegian Meatballs in a spicy cream sauce
- Grilled lamb Kebabs with Yogurt Reita
I don’t know how Mary’s gonna make all those different foods all at one time, but she says she knows how, so, I don’t know. I’m just gonna trust her.
On The Store Front
An speakin’ of local food, we’ve gone and spent some money on a real produce manager! She seems to be pretty good, her name is Donna Elwell (she’s married to that fella over on Baptist Corner Road who looks like an old Dutch farmer in a paintin’) and she’s a farmer, too. She knows all the farmers around here and she knows how to cook and she might know what people want to buy for produce better’n I do, so we hired her. She’s gonna get our produce and display it and cull out all the bad ones and keep it lookin’ pretty. I think it’ll go pretty good!
So here’s what we’re doin’ for the rest of the summer: And the fall: So far: Calendar at Elmer’s Event Hall:
- Saturday, August 25th, 3pm-5pm – Manfred Gabriel and the Irish Session Band
- Sunday, September 2nd, 3pm-5pm – Art Opening with works by Bob Markey and Elizabeth Keyes
- Saturday, Sept. 8th, 7:30 – 11pm – Elmer’s Second Annual Street Dance with live Big Band Music by the Hot Pepper Band! Whether you dance or just want to listen, it’s going to be fun—and cheap! Tickets $6 each, available at Elmer’s.
- Sunday, Sept. 16th, 3-5pm – Poetry Reading (That’s all I know so far.)
- Oct 6th and 7th, Ashfield’s Fall Festival! We’ll be serving our Crawfish Pasta once again—now only available at Fall Festival.
- Saturday Oct 27th, 7-9pm – Ray Mason
Nan Parati Nan is the proprietor of Elmer’s Store in Ashfield, MA. A New England transplant from the Deep South, Nan shares her southern wit, wisdom and charm every week in her column, “Notes from Nan.” Share dinner with her every Friday at Elmer’s. Each weeks menu posted with her column. firstname.lastname@example.org Previous Notes from Nan & Related Posts: