Celebrating Energy That’s Clean & Green
RiverFest 2007 will take place, rain or shine, on Saturday, June 9. This year’s theme is “Celebrating Energy That’s Clean & Green,” and event organizers are making sure that visitors will have plenty of opportunities to go with the flow.
- Beginning with a performance by “SunnyGreen,” a giant dancing puppet by Maya Apfelbaum, the streets of the village will be filled with music and fun, and a wide array of informative presentations and displays.
- Visitors will have a chance to learn about sources of safe, sustainable energy, how to identify invasive and edible wild plants, and the origins of the Potholes (contrary to popular belief, they are not glacial).
- Grownups and youngsters can take a virtual tour of #3 power station and discover how a hydroelectric plant operates.
- Get up close and personal to some of the birds of prey that soar through local skies.
- Find out about the “100-Mile Diet” as well as the environmental and health benefits of eating locally grown foods.
- Send some quality time rafting on the river.
There will also be street musicians and vendors, singing and storytelling, children’s games, a mask- and puppet-making workshop (you don’t have to be a kid!) leading up to the fabulous “Frog & Flower Parade” a “Quilting Challenge,” art contests, trolley rides, fly-tying demonstrations, The Mary Lyon foundation Antique Sale, book, tag and bake sales, and much, much more. Hop aboard the free shuttle bus or just stroll through town at your leisure.
From a musical gathering on the deck overlooking the Potholes to start the day’s events, to an evening showing of “An Inconvenient Truth” presented by Pothole Pictures, this year’s RiverFest offers entertainment, practical information and a wealth of ecological inspiration for people of all ages.
Come early, stay late! Gain a greater understanding of and appreciation for our natural resources-and take home some wonderful memories!